Frequently Asked Questions for Cosmetic Acupuncture
How is the treatment done?
Cosmetic acupuncture is performed by inserting hair-fine, sterile, disposable acupuncture needles into the skin at different areas of the face and body. This helps to stimulate blood flow and collagen production to the face while balancing the whole body. Specific areas are targeted for direct treatment on the face while body points are selected that will support the underlying issues that are manifesting on the face.
How many treatments will I need?
Initially we recommend that you have a series of 10 to 12 treatments. For optimum results, the treatments should be done at least once a week.
After the initial series is completed, we recommend following up with a maintenance program of one treatment every four weeks. The maintenance program will vary depending on your age and the quality of your skin.
What are the typical results?
The overall results can help transform the skin, yielding a smoother, more radiant appearance while improving the underling disharmony to reveal the body’s natural beauty. Treating the underlying causes that can be contributing to the signs of aging is preferable to masking the symptoms and allowing dysfunction to continue within the body.
Some commonly seen benefits of Cosmetic acupuncture include:
- Reduction of fine lines and wrinkles
- Reduction of puffiness under the eyes and around the face
- Reduction of sagging jowls and eyelids
- Reduction of dark circles
- Improved facial muscle tone and elasticity
- Improved circulation to the face resulting in improved facial color and vibrancy
- Reduction in age spots and redness
- Reduction of stress in the face and body
- Improvement of overall health and energy
Do you offer a consultation?
Yes! We offer a free consultation where we can go over the treatment options with you and determine the best treatment plan for your specific needs, that will achieve the best results. Pictures may be taken at the end of the consultation or at the first appointment.
What happens at the initial treatment?
1) We will take a health history and look at your lifestyle, diet and environmental exposure to determine the body’s imbalances based on a TCM diagnosis. We then follow with an assessment and exam of the various facial areas. Pictures may be taken during this initial visit.
2) Cosmetic acupuncture is typically done after the other therapies have been performed. During the treatment, the patient will be lying down comfortably. The face and body acupuncture points are sterilized and then sterilized single use needles are inserted at the various points that have been selected for treatment. Acupuncture point selection will vary with individuals. The patient is then ready to relax for about 20 to 30 minutes while receiving the LED light therapy.
3) The treatment is followed with a TCM acupressure/tuina face, neck and scalp massage which focuses on increasing further circulation and overall balance. Only organic and herbal oils with pearl powder, all known for their rejuvenating properties, are used on the face.
4) After the treatment is completed, dietary changes and/or herbs may be recommended. Ear seeds will be put in place and any at home treatment homework will be discussed, such as facial exercises, gua sha, or acupressure point stimulation.
Is there any down time after the treatment, can I go back to work?
No, there is no down time needed after the treatment. In fact, your skin will look amazing! You can easily return to work right away. You are often very relaxed after a treatment so you may not feel like jumping back into a hectic schedule right away.
Are the final results similar to a face lift or other procedures?
No, cosmetic acupuncture will not get the same results as a face lift. Results are subtle in comparison to cosmetic surgery. However, it is very typical to knock 5 to 10 years off the appearance. This is a rejuvenation treatment and cosmetic surgery results should not be expected. Cosmetic acupuncture results are slower and less pronounced than with surgical or laser procedures, dermal fillers, or botox. So, don’t expect the same level of change or the immediate results received from these other therapies. However, cosmetic acupuncture is a great non-surgical alternative to a healthier and younger looking appearance.
Is the treatment painful?
No, not at all. The treatment is very relaxing and comfortable. We use the absolute smallest needles on the market, so most people don't feel anything at all. Acupuncture treatments are extremely relaxing for most people and many people fall asleep on the table.